Every now and then, I get a commission for a set of church banners. This year has been unusual in that I’ve made three sets. I like making them because they are so different from what I usually make. My usual art is rather small and three dimensional. These are large, very large. They are 65″ wide and 16′ long. Each banner has approximately 17 yards of fabric in it. As you can imagine, they are heavy, too.
The banners are carefully planned out; however the execution is all free-style. Give me my scissors and I gleefully cut strips free hand. From there, it is like putting together a puzzle that has more than one solution. One thing I love is my puzzles! What I don’t love is the crawling around on the floor. These banners are so large that the floor is the best work space. Having Martha to help with the design and fabrication was a huge help. I couldn’t have made these really big banners without her.
He especially liked the glimmering fabric that we used in the Feast Days set made of gold fabrics. See the gold and purple banner sets here on my blog. The purple are vertical and the gold are radiating in line. He wanted the green to also have the radiating pattern. Rather than copying the same design, Martha created a combination of the radiating lines with horizontal lines.
It’s hard to tell that many of these fabrics are shiny satins, damasks, taffetas, and lame. Green is a difficult fabric to find in a broad range of hues, especially shiny ones. In all, there are 24 fabrics on the face on the banners.
I could not have made these without my daughter, Martha’s help. Not only was she responsible for the designing, she made the physical aspect of moving around all this fabric possible. She is a great partner to have. I look forward to future joint art projects.