My last post seems such a long time ago. Since then, I’ve been on vacation and traveled to Indianapolis to teach a doll class to the wonderful doll club there. Really I taught two workshops. The first was on how to design your own doll patterns. The second was making Bridget. They were a great group. Lots of talent. Lots of enthusiasm. I arrived home on a Monday and on Tuesday, school started and I was back at work!
It’s taken a while to settle back into the usual routine. Now that things are running almost smoothly again, it’s time to begin a new project. I am still working, slowly to be sure, on the swimming with the sting rays embroidery. But I’ve been wanting to make another felt vessel. Another one with hands. This one will be in the color palette of the zinnias in our garden that I wrote about here.
I started by sorting out my wool. I have a lot of orange and some yellow. I also have hot pink silk caps. The silk didn’t make it into the photo. I always forget something.
My wool was very fluffy and hard to work with. This picture shows three layers of wool over the silk. The first is the bright orange, second a lighter orange, and third is yellow. There wasn’t quite enough of the yellow, so there is some orange in this layer, too. The felt is made inside out with the right side next to the ball. The yellow will be the interior of the vessel.
Next step is to stretch three panty hose tops over the wool to encase everything. This is not something that can be done by yourself. I had to call a neighbor to help. In all the excitement, I forgot to take pictures. I think that is the story of my life.
It didn’t take too long at all to roll the felt to the soft stage where it begins to hold together. That’s when it comes off the ball.
What’s left is really the hard part. It takes a lot of work to harden the felt and shape it. It turns out that I didn’t use as much wool this time as in my other vessels. This one was thinner than the others. It took a lot more rolling and rubbing to shrink and thicken it.