With my elephant/tatting shuttle dream firmly in mind, I decided to embroider an elephant this week. The new stitch this week in the Take a Stitch Tuesday challenge seemed like it would fit right in with my plans. Its name, “closed base needlewoven picot stitch,” is quite a mouthful and it is a dramatic stitch that is worthy of its name. Since it certainly couldn’t be used for the entire elephant, I challenged myself to see how many of the previous challenge stitches I could use in this one project. The answer is 14. The new stitch is the dark green leaf shapes that form the fringe on the elephant’s blanket. They are attached at the top only and hang free.
The stitches used are: outline, running, chain, Pekinese, fly, pistil, oyster, buttonhole wheel, detached chain, feather, Algerian eyelet, Cretan, beaded hedebo, and closed base needlewoven picot. Plus she has a little tatted tail. The beaded hedebo stitch was a stitch that I skipped a few weeks ago when we were in Tennessee at my nephew’s wedding. It didn’t seem to fit what I was stitching at that time, but it looks perfect as the blanket edging. I’ve used small washers as beads in the Algerian eyelets.