Bullion Knot Stitch

After taking a break for the past few weeks, I’m back again participating in Take a Stitch Tuesday sponsored by Pintangle.  I’ve missed: french knot, wheat ear stitch, crossed buttonhole, and half chevron.  This week’s stitch is bullion knot.  Since I’ve used french knot and wheat ear stitch quite a bit in my work, I decided to play with the other three stitches.  Crossed buttonhole and half chevron are completely new to me and although I have stitched bullion knots before, it was very long ago and not too often.  Bullion knots are so textural, that I wonder why I haven’t used the stitch.  It may be because they are so tricky to get smooth and even.  Thinking about the texture they create, I decided they would do nicely for mushroom gills.

They are stitched with #5 pearl cotton.  The result is a thick ridge which I like.

I decided on dimensional applique for the cap because of the weightiness of the gills.  A snippet of sari silk ribbon in an appropriate color was just what the mushroom needed.  The inside edge is gathered and left crinkly for more texture.  The sides of the stem are stitched in half chevron and the grass at the bottom is the crossed buttonhole.  Both stitches are more versatile than I had thought.  I can see how they can be very useful stitches.  They are great stitches to add to my repertoire.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in applique, embroidery. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Bullion Knot Stitch

  1. Absolutely – and you’ve made great use of them!

  2. Queeniepatch says:

    Indeed the bullion stitch is fun and versatile. It’s interesting to see how everyone is using the stitch in a different way. Love your mushroom!

  3. Nice that you have three stitches used in one piece of embroidery. I like your stitching!

  4. the knots work wonderfully for the underside of the mushroom, but although I can see wehre you’re coming from with the applique silk its just almost but not quite there – I like how the puffy applique refernces c18th embroidery techniques but the wrinklies somehow detract from the overall mushroominess – I think it needed padding perhaps?

    • I see what you are saying. My original plan was to make the cap padded. I’ve done padded applique that you can see here
      https://playfulstitching.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/mirror-mirror-tell-me-no-lies/
      That’s why I put excess fabric in the cap. But when the cap was stitched on, I decided that I like the texture of the folds in the fabric better than the padding. It’s quirky, but I like it. As you can see by the doll in the link above, I have moved away from realism a bit. I’d like to see how you would interpret this idea and make a padded mushroom. If you do, send me a link. Thanks for the critique. I like that.

      • I dont really do realism either, since i do mostly medieval work. I love your dolls though – the closest i got to padded applique on a doll was when I made my friends little girl a new rag doll – she insisted it had to have boobies, and she wanted big ones, with little pink french knots for nipples. damn doll ended up even more deformed than a barbie!

  5. jizee6687 says:

    looks great!

  6. eclecticlamb says:

    So creative and artistic!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s