Wedding Dress Part II

Time to get to the nitty-gritty with this lace.  I’ve done a fair amount of sewing over the years including other wedding dresses, but nothing with lace like this lace.  It has a lot of open netting that has a good bit of stretch to it.  Holding it vertically, I could see that it stretched a lot.  A quick test showed 1 1/2 inches difference in length, flat versus hanging.  This posed a huge problem.  I decided to cut the lace out on my short loop carpet.  Not only did the texture of the carpet hold the lace steady, but I could stretch the lace and pin it into the carpet.  After I pinned on the pattern but before I cut the lace, I did a thread tracing to mark the seam line.  I also tested the length by holding the marked fabric up to the mock-up still on the dress form.  It looked OK.  Minor adjustments can be made before I sew it to the bodice.

The gray thread showed up very well.  I’ve also stitched some short red traces to mark notches.  Next came cutting out the pieces.  This long piece is a combination of 5 pieces (two are already sewn together on the far right.)  From the left: center back, side back, side front, center front, side front.  The other two backs are on a separate piece of lace.  This lace only came as 3 meter panels, so I’ll have an extra seam on the bottom border.

All the pieces are cut out together to avoid seaming the border at the bottom.  Since the dress is flared, I’ll also have to curve the bottom.  That’s what’s taking so long.  As I cut, I swerved around all the motifs that cross the seam lines.  These will be left whole and flapped over the seam to help with the camouflage.  Cutting out the pieces like this turn the seams into giant darts.

This is the lace pinned to the sewn up satin skirt.  It will have a narrow hem and be just barely shorter than the lace overskirt.  Right now the lace is all bunched up trying to fit along the curve of the hem.

You can see the excess fabric and the huge dart fold.

The surgery has begun.  It was truly scary to make the first cut, but it got a lot easier as I gained confidence.

The top part was smoothed downward and the border was smoothed upward and curved to match the bottom.  This was stitched by hand with a simple whip stitch.

Both sides of the seam are sewn flat.  Now isn’t that pretty?

Success!  The seam is sewn and IT WORKED!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in clothing. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Wedding Dress Part II

  1. Alison says:

    Awesome! It looks like it’s really pulling together well — the lace is amazingly adaptable and you can’t see the evidence of any surgical procedures. Can’t wait to see more, and of course, to try it on 🙂

  2. Burton says:

    Hope you don’t go blind with the lace work

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s